Swim Recap: My Last Year

Summer Norwell, Staff Writer

On February 10th and 11th, Holy Family High School’s swim and dive team competed in the State Meet. In total, we took 11 athletes to swim against the best in 3A. The group of girls included Kathryn Johnson, Summer Norwell, Cate Chapman, Ivy Wood, Erin Chapman, Ashtyn Cooney, Makaila Moosbrugger, ElliJo Musgrove, Kailyn Tucker, Lorelai Fraunfelder, and Sophie Gremillion.

Kathryn Johnson and Erin Chapman were the two divers competing for us. Kathryn was in her fourth year and she has had an amazing past four years. This year at state, she placed 13th overall at state while Erin, who is only a sophomore, placed 18th.

The team did incredibly well and we placed 5th overall. Almost all of our girls made it back to finals in there events. There were many highlight performances such as junior Cate Chapman placing 4th overall in her 100 backstroke and

5th in her 200 IM, freshman Lorelai Frauenfelder placing 4th in the 200 IM and 2nd in her 100 freestyle by only .04 seconds, and three of our relays placing top ten.

As a senior, I am so grateful for the chance to compete at state. The swim and dive team came to be my freshman year and we have come such a long way. My freshman year, we ended the season 14th in state, my sophomore year we ended 4th, My junior year we ended 6th, and now 5th. I have had my ups and downs on the team but it has been incredible to get to know the girls and I am so proud of them for everything they have accomplished. 

Swimming has played such an integral part in my life as I have done it for 12 years of my life. Now that I am done, I would not have preferred to finish swimming any other way.