HF Spirit Sweep; Leagues 2022

Matilda Warner, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, November 2nd, Holy Family’s spirit team made their grand debut. At the end of the 2021-2022 school year, a new dance team was made. Along with the new dance team came a much improved cheer team.

As a start, the guided studies teacher, Mrs. Luanne Bartoletta, was appointed Spirit Director. These duties came with appointing new head coaches and assistant coaches. Found for the poms team was Erie Pom’s former head coach, formerly announced CHSCA’s 2021-2022 Pom/Dance Co-Coach of the Year, Ms. Chelsea Incorvaia. Coach Chelsea was able to bring in some back up from her old team, Assistant Coach Megan and Coach Jessica.

The Holy Family Cheer team was also led by a former Erie coach. Erie’s former assistant varsity cheer coach and former Mead head cheer coach, Alissa Gutierrez. Coach Alissa is a University of Wyoming cheer alumni and now an assistant principal at Twin Peaks Classical Academy. A familiar HF face also joined the cheer coaching staff as an assistant coach, Ms. Monique Dominguez, Director of Alumni Relations. A recent addition, Coach April, is a friend and former teammate of Coach Alissa, as well as a great tumbling coach.

As Leagues 2022 was around the corner, the dance team and HF cheer team were vigorously preparing for their grand entrance. As dance was a brand new team and cheer entering a brand new division, HF spirit was considered under dogs. At Greeley West High School, cheer and dance would rock the mat.

A bus ride full of pump up songs lifted nervous spirits and raised the energy. Cheer would perform first and poms later on in the night. Cheer proceeded on to warm ups about an hour after arrival at the newly refurbished Greeley West HS. Nerves were high but settled as the time to perform approached. Cheer went on and performed to the best of their abilities. At the end of the routine, more nerves set in as all felt that it was not our best performance, however, the judges thought otherwise.

After cheer performed, the dance team went on to perform their poms routine. Nerves were shaky but ecstatic for the first performance as a team. As the music started, jaws dropped and eyes were wide open. A very well performed routine was no doubt a true winner in our hearts.

Awards were right around the corner and the gym was packed. As teams gathered on the floor to release some tension with a small dance party, judges were discussing scores and winners. The time came and the second winner announced of the night was the 4A traditional cheer category. Holy Family Cheer were the 2022 League 4A Cheer Champions with a raw score of 95. After the cheer team settled down, the poms team were awaiting their fate. With no hesitation, the HF Poms team were also named NCAC League Champs. With no other schools obtaining two league titles, Holy Family Spirit sweeps the competition.