Volleyball 2021 Season

Madison Forss, Staff Writer

With Holy Family’s varsity volleyball team ending with a solid record for their 2020-2021 season, Coach Gallas has high hopes for this upcoming year. Through the adversity of COVID and quarantine, to a short season with no one allowed in the stands, the team still managed to end *5th in class 4A.

“I’m really excited and hopeful for this season. I feel like the quick turnaround is almost like an extension of last season and I know we were hitting a lot of good strides and making some pretty good growth in some areas and I’m just excited to see how this transfers into this season,” commented Coach Gallas.

By having hard practices and intense conditioning every day after school, the team’s hope is to pick up where they left off and start the season strong with their first game against the 5A state contender, Broomfield High School.

Despite Broomfield High having 3 power pin-hitters and a strong defense, First Team All-Conference and team captains, Madison Forss and Anna Hodell, are confident they can lead the team to victory. Since picking things up on defense and putting things down on offense is their specialty, they’ll give Broomfield a run for their money.

With the hopes of creating some dominance in the volleyball world in the Broomfield area, both teams are hungry for this win.

In means of the whole season, the seven returning seniors are hoping to end their high school volleyball careers with at least a successful Regional showing. The Tiger’s front row consists of strong seniors. WashU commit, Anna Hodell, led the team in kills last season, with their starting middle, Makenna Bertsch not far behind in kill stats. With both Kaley Roller and Lexi Powers on the right side, and Kaitlin Owens also in the middle, the block is impenetrable. Picking up things that go around their heavy front row is libero Madison Forss and defensive specialist, Karson Brockway.

Underclassman Allie Ward and Emily Powell helped carry the team through a successful 2020-21 season and are going to help the new additions, Catherine Freward and Delaney Watson, do the same for this year.

“I’m really impressed with the way we’ve been able to morph into one team and it doesn’t really feel like there’s that divide in between the classes that we have on the team,” said Coach Gallas.

The stands are going to be packed with fans eager to watch some exciting volleyball for the first time in two years. Be there to be a part of a phenomenal season with even more phenomenal players on the Tiger’s court!