Where’s Ward? On the Road with Loralee (14)

Loralee Ward, Staff Writer

We are headed back from Craig High School Rodeo. Since my last travel blog, two high school rodeos have taken place. Lamar High School Rodeo (April 28-30) started off a little muddy. Due to the amount of rain, the cutting/reined cowhorse moved to an indoor arena in Rocky Ford. I placed second and first in the cutting. I also placed third and second in the reined cowhorse. Fortunately, the conditions improved for the barrel race by Saturday afternoon. Flo barely hit the second barrel on the backside but would have won the rodeo. We came back on Sunday to win the rodeo and run the fastest time of the whole weekend.

Here are highlights from the other Holy Family rodeo athletes:

• Sam Gallagher finished second in the steer wrestling on Saturday and third on Sunday. Sam won the team roping on Sunday with his partner, Mark Halliday.
  • Makayla Ward placed second in the goats on Saturday.
  • Konnor Ward placed in the team roping both days.

I won both rounds of the cutting for the Craig High School Rodeo (May 5-7). I also won the first round of the reined cowhorse and bombed the second round. My mentality embodies Ricky Bobby’s “If You Ain’t First You’re Last.” Flo worked awesome the first day and placed second. We came back on Sunday to win the rodeo and run the fastest time of the weekend again by .2 seconds.

• Sam Gallagher won the steer wrestling on Sunday.
  • Makayla Ward ran her personal best in goats, breaking the eight second barrier on Sunday.
  • Konnor Ward placed in the team roping on Saturday.

Next weekend’s high school rodeo takes place in Greeley. After Greeley, we have state finals for the cutting/reined cowhorse. We then go back to Craig for State Finals the last weekend of May.