Remembering Craig “Lefty” Harris

Craig Harris, the father of Holy Family PE teacher and track coach Nick Harris, was tragically killed in a car accident on Thursday, September 29th. 

Will Nolan, Staff Writer

The Holy Family community mourns the loss of Craig ‘Lefty’ Harris.  A man whose personality was larger than life and kindness could not be measured.

Craig Harris, the father of Holy Family PE teacher and track coach Nick Harris, was tragically killed in a car accident on Thursday, September 29th.  When I asked Coach Harris about what his father meant he described him, “An extremely positive person who loved to spread joy to others.”

He had a fun loving attitude and Coach Harris always admired the lengths that his father went to to provide for his family and make them happy, including him pulling Nick out of school for the premiere of “The Phantom Menace” in 1999.  This would lead to Harris’ love of Star Wars that he attributes to his father.

In 1994 Craig Harris abandoned his lifelong career of Astrophysicist, a career that saw him aide in the discovery of the rings of Neptune, he established Lefty’s Pizza place in Niwot, Colorado.  He established Lefty’s in a house turned restaurant because there were “no good pizza places in the area”.  The business has operated for 28 years and will unfortunately close at the end of the month.  A vigil was held on October 3rd, the same day the business opened.

All members Holy Family High School owe a thank you to Craig Harris.  He sold wreaths during the annual tree and wreath fundraiser, sold Colorado Rockies tickets so that the baseball team could play at Coors Field, and rewarded track runners that ran personal record times with a free 16 inch pizza from Lefty’s.  These three pieces of generosity and kindness were just a tip of the iceberg that was Craig Harris.  Craig Harris was a man that will be dearly missed.  Whether it be him taking pictures at Holy Family track meets or serving up pizza on a daily basis.  There will never be another man like Craig Harris.