Now Hiring!

Now Hiring!

Ansley Schnelle, Staff Writer/Editor

Summer is the perfect time to relax and be able to do things that a busy school year might not allow. In efforts to be productive, avoid boredom, and have fun, high school students work jobs during the summer months more than any other time of the year. As Now Hiring signs begin to pop up all over town, there are countless opportunities to earn some extra cash.

Out of the Holy Family Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors surveyed, 75% have had a summer job before, and 85% plan on working this summer. In addition, many students work during the school year. Sophomore Julia Merrion works at a doggy daycare, and plans to continue this job during the summer. Even though she loves it, she has also had experiences working in less enjoyable environments. “I worked for a packaging company and really hated it because it was labor intensive,” she says.

Junior Tommy Nguyen works at a Pho restaurant during the school year. When summertime rolls around, he spends time on the Wildwood Boardwalk in New Jersey working in a boba drink shop. “I really enjoy interacting with co-workers and providing service for customers and seeing satisfaction,” says Tommy. New Jersey isn’t known to be the friendliest of states, and Tommy has, of course, had to deal with “rude, ignorant, and awful customers.”

If customer service isn’t your thing, being a lifeguard is a summertime classic. Sophomore Charli Culp was a lifeguard last summer, and really enjoyed it. “I’ve met a lot of cool people and we get to hang out all summer,” she says.

When applying for summertime jobs, it is best to look for something that fits your interest. There are so many options out there, so make sure to find something you can have fun with!