Spring Sports: State Titles… Here We Come

Karson Brockway, Staff Writer

As spring approaches, we see the beginnings of HFHS spring sports starting to emerge and train. Holy Family is finally bussling with new athletes, and we are all ready for some new state titles to add to the books. Baseball, lacrosse, women’s soccer, and track and field have all begun to train, and it is looking like a season of success is upon us.

In the world of baseball the boys are starting to train and prepare for their first game of the season. Ending last season with a record of 20 wins and 3 losses and an impressive 8-1 win record in their league, Holy Family boys baseball is set up for success this season. On March 10th they will be taking on Littleton at home for an exciting non-league game. Everybody better show up ready to cheer on our Tigers as they start their season out strong.

Next up we have boys lacrosse. Despite a their subpar record last year, this season is looking a bit more promising for these boys. They have been training day in and day out in the snow, ice, and cold, and we are all hoping this training will lead to a few more successes this season. The boys first lacrosse game is home vs Northfield on Friday March 3rd. Now, Northfield had a decent season last year, so this could be quite the matchup to start off the season. Be There!

One of the sports I am most excited for this season is girl’s lacrosse. The team is looking promising this year with multi-sport, volleyball commit, Anna Hodell, and Colorado Mesa lacrosse commit Sidney Edmonds leading the team. Senior player, Annika Manzanares even said, “I am new to lacrosse, but with the help of our captains, I think we have a decent chance of being a competitive team this year.” Though these girls have been training hard and preparing for the season the past few weeks, girl’s lacrosse does not officially start their season until March 29th against Conifer. I know we are all excited to see how this up and coming team performs this season.

Another team to look out for this spring is Track and Field. From sprinters to distance runners to throwers, we have a lot of impressive athletes showing up this year, ready to compete. Luke Busot, senior and captain of the distance runners, said, “I am excited for this season. We have a real chance at winning our league and succeeded a lot this season.” Both girls and boys teams will begin to compete on March 12th at Centaurus High School, just down the road.

Lastly and possibly most exciting is girl’s soccer, our 2020-2021 state champs. Of course everyone is very excited and hopeful for this season of girl’s soccer. The girls are determined to steal the state championship once again and succeed on all levels for the second time in a row. Senior Riley Plock says, “This is going to be a great season. I’m super excited to see our team succeed.” The girl’s first, posted game is March 12th vs George Washington. Everyone better show up!

That’s all for spring sports. I’m looking forward to a great season of success this year.