Singer Spotlight: Jake Vigil

Colorado All-State Choir 2022

Ansley Schnelle, Staff Writer/Editor

It’s no secret that the Holy Family Performing Arts department is filled with talent. Senior Jake Vigil has been a member of the choir program since his freshman year and is quite the impressive singer.  If you haven’t caught a glimpse of him racing varsity cross country for the past four years, you’ve likely seen him at the front of the all-school masses, singing the beautiful songs of worship with fellow choir classmates.

Jake’s passion for music started at a young age. Growing up in the Catholic Church gave him the opportunity to sing about his faith on a regular basis. “I have been doing choir for as long as I can remember, mostly through church. I went to a Catholic school, so we had a lot of all-school masses on Mondays and Fridays so I would help with those. When I got to high school, someone recommended that I should try choir. I tried it out and I really liked it so I kept doing it.  I also liked getting involved in the school masses,” says Jake. 

One of his favorite things about being in choir at Holy Family is the community. “I love to make music with those who have the same interests as me,” Jake says. “Just being with people who understand you is definitely something that I treasure about choir.”

Recently, Jake (along with senior Peter Morado) was selected to sing at the 2022 Colorado All-State Choir Concert. The performance took place on January 20-22 at The Buell Theatre in Denver and brought together the finests high school vocalists in the state. This highly competitive program included a multiple-step audition process. Being invited to perform in this concert is a huge honor and provides the opportunity to learn from the best of the best in the industry. Dr. William Powell, Professor & Director of Choral Activities at Auburn University, conducted the performance and provided an enriching learning experience for the participants.  “He was a really good leader, he helped us develop our vocal technique more and add meaning to the song rather than just sing it. That was definitely something I took away,” says Jake. 

Through this event, he also got to meet amazing singers from all over Colorado. “Everyone there was really top-notch talented, especially a lot of the soloists,” says Jake. “They are really devoted to music and they’ve worked hard for everything they’ve achieved, so that was a major positive aspect about this event.” 

Having just under a semester left of his Senior year, Jake has put a lot of thought into what will come after graduation. Although he does not have everything planned out yet, music will likely be a big part of his future endeavors. “My plan is either to minor in Choral Conducting or to double major. If I double major, it would most likely be in Law, along with pursuing a Master’s Degree in Choral Conducting and Music Writing.” 

Whatever he decides to do in the future, it will be exciting to see where his musical talent and passion will take him next!