Warm Welcome to Scott Bishop

Megan Pierret, Staff Writer

Over Christmas break, our engineering teacher, Mr. Robert Palumbo, experienced a health issue that has prevented him from returning back to school for this semester. Luckily, our faculty was able to find a new teacher to take his place, for the time being, Mr. Scott Bishop. To answer your question, no, he is not related Del Bishop.

Mr. Bishop has been part of a program called Alliance for Catholic Education since he graduated from the University of Notre Dame. At the Alliance for Catholic Education, they “recruit and form the next generation of teachers and leaders, establish networks to extend the Catholic school advantage to thousands of new families.” Through this program, he was placed as a math and science teacher.

Over the years, he says, “I have taught nearly every high school math class, including Algebra I/II, Geometry, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus and Calculus. I have also taught Physics, Chemistry, and, somewhat incongruously, theater.”

The one class that he doesn’t have experience in is engineering. He says, “This is my first time teaching an engineering class, so this will be a new challenge for me. BUT… I LOVE learning new things, and am very excited about all of the possibilities.” At the University of Notre Dame, he studied mechanical engineering for his undergraduate degree, which has given him insights that he is excited to share as a teacher here at Holy Family.

He has been a stay-at-home dad for 10 years after teaching for many, and his daughter is in the Junior Band at Holy Family. This has allowed him to experience the community, and he says, “Through that experience, I had the chance to spend some time in the school… During those visits, I felt great energy and sense of community at Holy Family, and it occurred to me that this would be the perfect place for me to resume my career in education.”

We are upset that Mr. Palumbo wasn’t able to finish out the back half of the year, but we are lucky to have found a teacher that brings different perspectives to our program on short notice.