Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy

Cobra Kai Enters Season 4

YouTube

Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy

Zachary Heinis, Staff Writer

“Cobra Kai, Cobra Kai, Cobra Kai” is a chant of those who are a part of the, you guessed it, Cobra Kai dojo.

In the 1980’s, The Karate Kid become a widely renowned film series, with the first movie being release in ’84, and the next two consecutively following in ’86 and ’89.

In the first movie, all-star acting duo Ralph Macchio as Daniel LaRusso, and William Zabka as Johnny Lawrence ultimately meet at the All-Valley Under-18 Karate Tournament.  The plot was based on a high school boy, LaRusso, who gets bullied by Lawrence in school and turns to karate for self-protection.

The whole movie goes through the trials and tribulations of a teen trying to fit into a new high school.  However, in the last sequence of the movie, Daniel competes in the All-Valley Karate Tournament with the help of Mr. Miyagi — played by Pat Morita, and surpasses his biggest rival, Lawrence and his mentor John Kreese.

Flash forward 35 years and Daniel LaRusso is one of the most successful people in the Valley, even owning his own car dealership.  But when he runs into his old rival, Johnny Lawrence, things get feisty between the two and the Cobra Kai dojo is brought back to life by none other than former student, Lawrence.

With the fourth season being released on the last day of 2021, the hype surrounding these nostalgic and relatable characters is real.  This show will keep you on your toes, and reinforce the feeling that nothing is ever truly black and white.