Retirement on the Rise

Mia Paulson, Staff Writer/Editor

Rhonda Blanford-Green announced that she will be retiring from her position as the Commissioner of Colorado High School Activities Association effective on June 30th, 2022. Tom Robinson, Associate Commissioner for CHSAA, has announced his retirement alongside Blanford-Green.

CHSAA commissioner, associate commissioner announce retirements – The Durango Herald
Rhonda Blanford-Green (from CHSAA website)

Blanford-Green has been Commissioner since 2017, when she became the first female and first black Commissioner for CHSAA. As Commissioner, she oversaw the entirety of high school sports and their operations. Her years with the job were not easy, as she had to deal with the craziness of COVID-19, which included switching seasons, schedules, and protocols.

Not only has Blanford-Green been the leader of our high school sports, but she is also very athletic herself. In her high school days at Aurora Central High School, she participated in track and field, cheer, and volleyball. In college at the University of Nebraska, she became an 18-time All-American in track and field.

Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA)
Tom Robinson (from CHSAA website)

Robinson has been working with CHSAA since he became Associate Commissioner in 2001. He worked with Blanford-Green during her entire time as Commissioner, helping her make executive decisions and try to make each season the best it can be for all of us. He focused mainly on officials, the sportsmanship program, and golf.

Also an athlete himself, Robinson played football, basketball, and track and field at Regis Jesuit and Colorado State University, and came back to Regis Jesuit to coach and teach for 31 years.

Both Blanford-Green and Robinson will be missed in the CHSAA community, but we wish them well in their retirement.