Shooting at Oxford High School

Taeshawn Means, Staff Writer

On November 30, the latest school shooting happened at Oxford High School in Michigan. Eight people were injured and four died from their injuries.

The shooter, 15 year old sophomore, fired more than dozen shots before caught and taken into custody.

Authorities received a 911 call about an active shooter right before 1 p.m.

Madisyn Bailey, 17, and Hana St. Juliana, 14, were killed at the sight of the school. Student Tate Myre, 16, was pronounced dead in a patrol car while he was rushed to the hospital.

“Including a teacher, eight others were injured and taken to hospitals with various injuries” Oxford Sheriff Michael Bouchard said.

One of the wounded, a 14 year old girl, who was wounded on the neck and chest has been put on a ventilator.

Is it suspected that the shotter “used the gun that his father bought on Black Friday”.

Assistant Prosecutor Marc Keast said school surveillance video shows the suspect went into a bathroom just before 12:51 p.m. Tuesday and came out a minute or two later with a gun. Keast said the teen “methodically and deliberately walked down a hallway, aiming the firearm at students and firing.”

As of Monday the suspect has been identified (he will not be named). The parents have also been identified (which who will not be named). They were found and arrested in Detroit, also with their son. The parents are also been charged with four counts of  involuntary manslaughter which they pleaded “not guilty” to. Their bond was set at $500,000 each.

“The day before the shooting, a teacher observed the suspect looking up ammunition and on his phone during class and instantly reported it to school officials. The mother of the suspect was contacted but their was no response” Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said.

The mother of the teen suspect sent her son a text message.

“(Suspect’s name), don’t do it” the mother wrote.

Attorneys Shannon Smith and Mariell Lehman wrote in a statement that their clients (the parents), were not fleeing, but had left town the night of the shooting “for their own safety” and were coming back.

With this tragedy drastically hitting hard on the Oxford community, our hearts go out to the victims and the families.