Homecoming Dress Stress

Ansley Schnelle, Staff Writer/Editor

Finding the perfect dress is arguably one of the most stressful parts of homecoming. If you haven’t gotten your dress yet, you better hop to it.  Homecoming is right around the corner, and if you’ve been procrastinating your dress hunt or spent hours wandering around the same few department stores only to come home with nothing, keep reading. 

Ordering online is great, but the clock is ticking and at this point, chances are your dress won’t be delivered in time. Even if you pay for express shipping, there is always the chance that it won’t fit or will look nothing like the picture. 

If you’re just beginning your dress search and choose to start at Dillards, good luck. Keep in mind that Holy Family has a later homecoming than many high schools and the selection will be slim pickings! However, don’t let those empty racks depress you. Department stores are far from your only option. 

First and foremost, toss your homework aside and head down south. Flatirons Mall has been lacking in selection for a while now. Why is it that everytime you walk in the same store you think it will be different? Park Meadows Mall is perfect for your everyday shopaholic, but if you’re looking for a special occasion dress, Cherry Creek Mall is where it’s at. Cherry Creek has more unique stores and typically doesn’t bring in as many suburban teens.  Cherry Creek North’s boutiques are also worth the stop.  Give Muriel a try, party dresses are their specialty.

It is so important that you check out stores you may not regard as typical “dress shops.” Just because homecoming dresses aren’t displayed in the windows, doesn’t mean that there isn’t a party section. Altar’d State, Free People and even Express, believe it or not, have more than just denim and BoHo graphic tees.  Your perfect dress could just be waiting for you there, give those stores a try!

If you still find yourself unsuccessful, make the trek down to TBC Occasions in Centennial. Think bridal salon but for proms, homecomings and pageants.  Their selection is huge and since they stock dresses year-round, they are never picked over during homecoming/prom season.

Get out of the department store rut and start hunting! Your dress will be far more unique and there’s a good chance that you won’t have the same dress as that one classmate who you really can’t stand.

Homecoming is one of the most memorable high school events, and looking and feeling your absolute best makes it even better. Good luck!