Dr. Marchesi Brings a World of Experience to Holy Family

Luke Busot, Staff Writer

In the wake of many teachers leaving this past year, Holy Family had a lot of open positions that they needed to fill. One of those open teaching positions was for senior AP Literature after Mrs. Cillessen left at the beginning of the summer. AP Lit didn’t have a teacher or any direction for most of the summer until Dr. Marchesi came and took the teaching position, and we’re glad that she did because her story is quite interesting.

Dr. Marchesi was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and lived there until she was about 11 years old. After, she moved to Austria where she lived until she went to university at Hamilton College in Clinton, New York, for her undergraduate degree, as well as the University of Cambridge Robinson in Cambridge, England. After her undergrad, Dr. Marchesi went to the University of Delaware to get her masters degree. She then moved to Colorado to get her PhD in Literature and Shakespeare from CU Boulder.

After Dr. Marchesi’s education was over, she moved to Flagstaff, Arizona where she taught English at Northern Arizona University for five years. After her time there, she moved to Atlanta, Georgia where she taught English at LaGrange College for 6 years up until last semester. 

But, as we all know, COVID affected everyone in one way or another, especially with our families, and Dr. Marchesi was no exception. She and her sister realized that they lived too far apart from each other, so they both decided to move to Colorado to be closer to each other. She then saw an opening at Holy Family for the AP Literature position, which brings us to where we are today.

Dr. Marchesi is also an author in addition to being a teacher. She has written multiple books in the science fiction and fantasy genres, such as “Florissant,” “Shelby and Shauna Kitt and the Alterax Buttons,” and “Shelby and Shauna Kitt and the Dimensional Holes.”

Dr. Marchesi is very excited to be teaching at Holy Family this year and we hope that she continues to teach here for years to come.