Q: Now What? A: Remember Him

Understanding the Deeper Meaning of Your Faith

Maddie (from Ohio) Rutherford, Staff writer

Catholicism has always been present in my life. I was raised in a devout Catholic family, attended Catholic school from kindergarten through 12th grade (except for freshman year), and went to Mass every Sunday. Faith was instilled in me in almost every aspect of my life. When I entered high school, I expected faith to continue to come naturally. I was not used to facing challenges to my beliefs, and I was certainly not expecting to be caught off guard without answers to some people’s questions. Though I knew about God, I realized that I did not know Him as much as I thought. I sought to have my own relationship with God, and to understand why I believe what I was taught. Sure I knew the books of the New Testament and the names of the apostles, but if I don’t understand the deeper meaning of my education, I gain nothing except trivia knowledge. 

Through the last four years, I dove deeper into my faith. I searched out answers to the questions I had, and my understanding of God grew. I worked on my relationship with Him, and put an effort into my faith. I would not let myself blindly accept Theology class lessons anymore. Prayer slowly became more than just a way to begin and end my day, and the Bible became more than a book. Through the influence of teachers, classmates, and my youth group, I encountered God in the world around me. 

Now, as we seniors approach the beginning of college, the question of “now what?” lingers in the air. Even at a Catholic or Christian school, college is a time of questioning and self-exploration where many college students lose their faith or stop attending regular church services. Without parents and teachers encouraging the faith, it is easy to drift away from it. 

I would like to take this final opportunity to encourage my fellow seniors to hold on to your values. Don’t lose yourself in college, and always try to remember what you’ve been taught at Holy Family. When we step off that stage after graduation, it may be easy to forget everything that we learned. In fact, that may be your plan. However, I encourage you instead to hold onto the lessons our teachers have provided us with. The faculty and staff here teach us because they care about us. We ought to be appreciative of the time and effort they dedicate to share the Word of God with us. 

So now what? 

Hold onto the lessons Holy Family has offered you. Remember that God is present with you every step of the way. He has a plan for each of us and we ought to remember to give Him the glory He deserves. No matter what your plans are after high school, seek out the beauty of God’s love – it is all around us. 

“For I know well the plans I have in mind for you- plans for your welfare and not for woe, so as to give you a future of hope.” Jeremiah 29:11