Introducing the Class of 2021 Valedictorian: Caitlin Johnnides

Holy Family recently released the valedictorian and salutatorian for the Class of 2021: Caitlin Johnnides and Gavin Smith. Johnnides and Smith are both excellent and very successful students with bright futures ahead of them, and we congratulate them on their numerous academic achievements.

Maddie (from Ohio) Rutherford, Staff writer

Upon finding out her achievement of being top of the class, Johnnides states that she felt beyond ecstatic: “When I told my parents, I was squealing while doing a happy dance in my kitchen. It’s been extremely fulfilling to know that all of the work I’ve put in has been worth it.”

Johnnides was originally inspired by the Class of 2020’s valedictorian, Chealan Berry, to reach for the goal. However, she understands that this achievement is a result of her own hard work and determination over her years at Holy Family and describes being valedictorian as very rewarding.

Johnnides is a very active member of the Holy Family community. She currently holds the position of president of the National Honor Society, president of HF’s Thespian Society troupe, and captain of the Mock Trial team. Aside from these, she is in a variety of choirs and other clubs. The 2021 spring musical Freaky Friday will feature Johnnides as the lead role of Ellie Blake. 

Johnnides plans on attending Vanderbilt University (“Go Dores!!”) to study biomedical engineering with a minor in music. She feels that Holy Family has helped guide her to a successful career after college.

Holy Family has taught me how to effectively manage my time, how to articulate my thoughts, and how to stay true to myself… One of the most important things I’ve learned is how my faith and science complement each other. Holy Family has given me the tools I need to defend myself and my faith.”

Many people have contributed to Johnnides’s success, offering guidance and inspiration as she went through high school.

According to Johnnides: “I’ve been very blessed to have had such stellar teachers and I’ve loved all of the teachers I’ve had. It’s hard to choose only a few individuals, but Mrs. Baker, Mrs. Cillessen, Mr. Fallet, and Dani Flores (Class of 2020) have all helped… me find my voice, have courage in my convictions, and grow closer to God. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without them and they will forever be in my prayers.”

High school comes with its ups and downs. Johnnides explains that for her, as well as for many teenagers, the biggest challenge was finding herself.

“Figuring out how my identity, beliefs, aspirations, and faith all intertwine has been (and will probably always be) a challenge, but it’s a complex and beautiful journey that is very worthwhile.”

While we will be able to hear more from Johnnides during her speech at graduation, she offered one piece of advice to the Holy Family student body: 

“If you put in the work now, you’ll be rewarded later. Your future self will thank you! And try not to worry too much about what other people think of you. Living your life as authentically as possible is one of the most difficult, but also most rewarding, things you can do.”