The Tortured Poets Department...

The Tortured Poets Department…

And here we have it… A new era for 13 time Grammy award winner Taylor Swift.

On Sunday, February 4th at the 66th Annual Grammy Awards, Taylor Swift announced her eleventh studio album while accepting the best pop vocal album Grammy award.

Taylor Swift dropped a bomb during her acceptance speech for best pop vocal album for “Midnights” – she’s gearing up to release her eleventh studio album. This announcement, amidst her gratitude to fans for their support of “Midnights,” marked her 13th Grammy win, a significant number to Swift and her fanbase.

Swift’s speech was filled with many thanks towards her devoted fans and a promise to reciprocate their support by revealing a secret she’s held for two years: the specifics of her upcoming album. With her exit from the stage, her social media platforms lit up with teasers, revealing the album’s cover, titled “The Tortured Poets Department,” and its tagline, “All’s fair in love and poetry.”

The fanbase knew something was going to happen when, hours before, Swift updated her social media profile pictures to black and white, sparking speculation among fans about a possible announcement regarding the re-recording of “reputation” (Taylor’s Version). Adding to the anticipation, her website experienced “technical difficulties” just before the Grammy ceremony, displaying an error code containing the text “hneriergrd,” a puzzle Swifties deciphered as “red herring.”

Swift also made a fashion choice at the award show, a black and white dress that fueled the speculation among fans. Many interpreted elements of her outfit as hints to her “reputation” era, including the presence of six chains on her necklaces, symbolizing her sixth studio album. The fans will take anything as a sign.

The day after the album’s announcement, Swift unveiled the official tracklist for the album. Side A includes “Fortnight,” “The Tortured Poets Department,” “My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys,” and “Down Bad.” The songs on Side B are “So Long, London,” “But Daddy I Love Him,” “Fresh Out the Slammer,” and “Florida!!!.” Side C includes “Guilty as Sin?,” “Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me?,” “I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can),” and “loml.” The album’s final side features “I Can Do It With a Broken Heart,” “The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived,” “The Alchemy,” “Clara Bow,” and a bonus track titled “The Manuscript.”

The musical collaborators for Swift’s new album remains uncertain at this point. But, it’s likely that she will collaborate with some of her close friends like Jack Antonoff.

Taylor Swift disclosed during her speech that the highly anticipated new album, The Tortured Poets Department, is scheduled for release on April 19, 2024. This reveal works with Swift’s ongoing successful Eras Tour, a three hour journey through her eighteen year music catalog that captivates fans worldwide. However, the impact of Swift’s new album on the tour’s setlist remains uncertain.