The Last Dance For These Tigers

State is less than a month away

Ava Kuszak at the plate against Regis Jesuit. (Photo by Jennifer Eldredge)

Trevin Johnson, Staff Writer

What do you know about pressure?

Try going into the 2020 season ranked No. 1 in the state for 4A softball. Expectations were set very high for this talented group of individuals. They will be playing with a purple and gold target on their back for the entirety of their season.

“I find there to be a lot of pressure especially with how the season ended last season…” said varsity pitcher Cassidy Chvatal, whose team lost in the state semifinals to Erie at the Aurora Sports Park.

Going into the 2020 season, this team will have nine seniors going in. At this point the Tigers are expected to go far with their expertise and ability. This season is going to be boom or bust for the girls on this softball team. The start of the season was kicked off with a high scoring 13-8 against the defending champion and preseason No. 2Erie Tigers.

“I feel that there is a very high expectations set this year for our team but I have no doubt that we will reach and exceed that expectation.” Cassidy followed.

Following this win was another closely contested game against the No. 3 Silver Creek Raptors in a 13-10 victory. With the season off to a good start, the unexpected was to occur in the following contests.

In this season’s home opener against Wheat Ridge High School, the Tigers were upset with a final score of 5-3. This was the first time that the Tigers had lost on their home turf in a very long time.

To come was another home game, this time against Mead High School. In a surprise upset the Tigers were once again beaten 9-6 by the Mavericks, who have since moved into the No. 1 spot in the polls.

Carly Eldredge celebrates a double against Regis Jesuit on Sept. 12. (Photo by Jennifer Eldredge)

Despite losing at home in back to back games, the Tigers bounced back in their next home game against Windsor. The game was slow at the start until the Tigers ran away with a big lead of 11-3 to send the Wizards back home.

To add on to the momentum, over the past weekend the Tigers were able to run rule Greeley West, Valor Christian and then Regis Jesuit High School.

It’s very hard to obtain a run rule, let alone three, against some prime competition. With this, the softball team has set the tone for the rest of the season in terms of success.

“I think no matter how the season ends (with a state title or not) the team will have fought harder than anyone else.” Jenna Pfenning, varsity first baseman proceeded with, “No matter what happens, we will work relentlessly toward our goal and hopefully come out on top.”

Now that the Tigers are coming off of a very big weekend, they are back on track to have a great season and prove to everyone that they will gain the recognition that they deserve.